Migraines are chronic headaches which involve excruciating pain. The throbbing headaches can last for hours and even days. The disorder is found to be more common in women as compared to men. There are many factors responsible of causing this condition. These include hormonal changes, changes in weather, stress, certain foods and beverages, change in sleeping patterns, and too much exertion.
Tips to Manage Migraine Headaches:
- Tip 1: A gentle massage can provide a lot of relief. Gently rub your fingers over the temple and the arteries near the ears. Also massage the neck and shoulder area. This improves blood circulation in these areas, and eases the tension in the muscles.
- Tip 2: Get yourself at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night. Ensure that you maintain a regular sleeping time. For example, try and go to bed around the same time every day.
- Tip 3: There are certain foods that should be avoided when trying to manage these annoying headaches. Some of the foods that should be avoided or restricted include chocolate, cheese, caffeine, nuts, soy beans, seeds, alcohol, etc. If possible, keep away from these foods for at least a month.
- Tip 4: Try and avoid going to places where there is loud music or sounds, and bright lights. These factors are known to further aggravate the problem.
- Tip 5: De-stressing the body is one of the most beneficial ways of coping with this disorder. Stress is considered to be amongst the main causes for the onset of this condition. Try techniques like yoga, meditation or progressive muscle relaxation as they work wonders for the mind and body.
- Tip 6: Acupressure is one of the most common and widely used methods for dealing with this disorder. It stimulates the body’s own healing mechanism and helps reduce the frequency as well as intensity of attacks.
In case of severe and frequent attacks, it is important to seek advice from a physician. There are several prescription and OTC drugs available in the market for treating this condition. Physicians often prescribe drugs like Maxalt for treating migraine headaches. Maxalt helps treat the pain and the associated symptoms like sensitivity to sound and light. However, it will not prevent a headache or reduce the number of attacks. Also, Maxalt should only be used after consulting a doctor.
These are some effective tips for dealing with migraines. However, they are not meant to substitute for any treatment prescribed by the physician. When used in combination with medication prescribed by a doctor, these tips can prove beneficial in coping with the pain and discomfort caused due to migraine.