Depression refers to a disorder characterized by a group of symptoms that reflect the sad and irritable mood of a person. The intensity and the duration of grief occurring in depressed patients exceeds that occurring in normal individuals. Depression is known to affect the normal physiological functions of the body, resulting in serious complications.
What are the Causes of Depression?
- The prevalence of depression is higher in women than in men. Women have a higher tendency to suffer from depression during the postpartum period.
- Patients having a family history of depression are at higher risk of suffering from it.
- Patients suffering from chronic illnesses like cancer are more prone to suffer from depression.
- Loss of near ones, financial difficulties and strained personal relations are the common causes of depression.
- Pressure to perform in job or academics can cause depression.
- People belonging to the socio-economically disadvantaged groups are more prone to go into depression because of the feeling of being negatively impacted by discrimination.
Symptoms of Depression:
- Persistent sad or anxious moods
- Feeling of pessimism
- Guilty feeling
- Lack of pleasure in any activity
- Crying spells
- Reduced sexual desire
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of weight
- Social isolation
- Thoughts of suicide
- Inappropriate social behavior
How to Treat Depression?
Paxil is a very good medicine for the management of depression. The main ingredient of this drug is paroxetine hydrochloride. Paxil helps in treating this condition by correcting the imbalance of serotonin in the brain.
Dose of Paxil:
The recommended starting dose of Paxil 20 mg, once in a day. Further dose adjustments can be done after assessing the response of the symptoms to the drug. Patients are advised to consult a physician before they start using this medicine, as only he can determine the best dosage for you
Side Effects of Paxil:
The common side effects of Paxil are palpitations, loss of appetite, loose motions, increased perspiration and dryness of the mouth.
Patients suffering from depression are at higher risk of developing asthma, coronary artery disease and hypertension. Patients should use efficient antidepressant drugs like Paxil for treating this condition so that these serious consequences occurring due to it can be prevented.